Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Next Generation

First off I'd like to say that if any of my students read this please understand that this probably isn't about you, so don't think it is. This is some of my observations that I hope aren't true. The more and more i learn about student the more scared and the more i realize the utter importance of my job. Growing up I was a complete idiot. I did some of the stupidest things ever. I don't expect the next generation of students that come up to do anything less. There was a difference though. The truth was still the truth. It's come to my attention, and it's only got worse, that the truth has become a personal issue. I've actually heard people say well what is right for you, may not be right for me. If you believe that and you're reading this hit yourself in the head right now. The truth is the truth no matter where you are or who you are. There is no "well it's right for me" truth out there. This is something that I'm hearing and it seems like the truth has somehow become blurred. Since God made the truth, He gets to decide what's the truth. If He says it's wrong, then it's wrong; end of story. Another alarming trend is the amount of sexual things that is so open in our culture. I've had this conversation with lots of students and leaders. I remember asking one student one time that if he knew it was wrong why would he have sex? The response was "I felt like it." I was like WOW!!! Isn't that crazy. It's like they know it's wrong, they'll tell you it's wrong, but when it comes to playing out what they believe it doesn't matter what they believe. Does that not scare you because it scares me. The attitude about sex is that it's just fun, but it should be much more than that right? Another thing that might just be with pastors is that the generation has a major lack of biblical knowledge. I have to admit that I don't know enough and never will. It takes a lot really learn something for me, except when it comes to students. I learn quickly, and I hope I give good advice when they come and need it. I know they don't see me as judgmental or condemning, because I've been there and not afraid to tell them of my struggles. I think that this lack of biblical knowledge seems to be maybe the root of some of these other problems I've listed. If they knew what God found right and wrong and what HE really thought about it it, would they be able to ignore Him? The last thing that bothers me is the lack of wanting to learn and think. It seems like they want the answer now without finding out the knowledge for themselves. If you've ever asked a student a question that doesn't really have an answer, maybe to just talk about you'll know what I mean. They get frustrated at not having the answer. Try it sometime. In saying all that I have to say that there's hope. God has not given up on this generation, nor will He let Himself be forgotton. More students than ever are seeking for answers, and GOD is the ANSWER. There's a spark of hope for the future. Will they embrace the God of the universe or seek after themselves and everything but God? I will do everything that God tells me to ensure that I can give them a chance to hear from God. I was a complete idiot and God found the time to get my attention. It's freaking awesome that the God of everything wants to talk to me. I wish this next generation would learn this. When you realize just how BIG GOD really is then how can you want to do anything but do His will and want to please Him. If you're apart of the next generation and you're reading this, again don't think it's about you. I do hope it changes your life and that you stop wanting to do everything you want and start wanting to seek God for who He is and please HIM only. My prayers will be with you and for this generation. I'm usually very optimistic, but sometimes the truth is what you need to hear. God Rocks, Jw

No comments: